Tire Question - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru

Go Back > >
Reload this Page >

Tire Question


G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Tire Question


Old 11-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire Question

I know someone has definitely posted it, but I bought an 07 sedan and on the freeway, it's pretty squirrelly, and I thought his could be due to the back tires being up front. I'm out of state at the moment but I had my wife send me pics of the tires, she messed up on the back but up front they are 245/45ZR18.. are these supposed to be in the back and could this cause the horrible handling at freeway speed?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM
Urbanengineer's Avatar
Moderator
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jun 2013
location: Pig Town, OHIO
Posts: 9,103
Thanked 696 Times in 659 Posts
Stock wheels? Have you inspected the suspension yet?
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,946
Thanked 417 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by Weston.gilles View Post
I know someone has definitely posted it, but I bought an 07 sedan and on the freeway, it's pretty squirrelly, and I thought his could be due to the back tires being up front. I'm out of state at the moment but I had my wife send me pics of the tires, she messed up on the back but up front they are 245/45ZR18.. are these supposed to be in the back and could this cause the horrible handling at freeway speed?
Well, YES, err maybe.

Here's the thing, it is true that the staggered wheels setup on cars (Sport model) is supposed to run a narrower wheel on the front with the 225 width tires, and wider wheel on the rears with a 245 width tire. However, some people have been known to install 245 width tires on those narrower front wheels, so just the presence of 245's in the front is not likely to cause a problem in and of itself.

Now, if someone did place a rear wheel on the front, AND THEY DIDN'T REMOVE THE LITTLE BOLT ON THE FRONT ROTORS which is supposed to prevent that very thing from happening (by keeping the wheel from sitting flat on the hub), and then they either didn't notice or just left it sitting all crooked and tightened the lug nuts down anyway, then heck yeah, the wheel would be wobbling as it rotated and would feel like crap at freeway speeds (besides being horribly dangerous and prone to causing the lug nuts to loosen on their own!).

As a precaution, you need to make sure the front wheels are sitting flat on the hubs and the lug nuts are all tight before somebody has an accident.

EDIT: Here's a few pics of similar blocking bolts>




Last edited by vqsmile; 11-03-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man, yeah I get home Saturday, i will look at it then.. as for the suspension, no I haven't looked at it but the cornering feels basically like it should, it's just that horrible handling and pulling all over the road at freeway speed with the changing road conditions.. I live up near Seattle, those roads are garbage
Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Aug 2007
location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,699
Thanked 136 Times in 128 Posts
If this car is new to you I'd get the alignment checked after you verify your wheel setup. Your tires may also be pretty worn and some are more prone to tramlining. Tramlining will give you that floaty feeling and tends to grab those road grooves and jolt you side to side when it catches them, not a good scenario for sure. Here's a link on tramlining

Also you said the wife messed up w/ the tire selection, what size tires are in back now?
Old 11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,248
Thanked 1,077 Times in 960 Posts
Last time I looked "Tire Rotation" wasn't allowed on G35s! Your G came with 225s up front, running those out back with the 245s front could result in a very strange drive. I was never a fan of using those 225s up front and quickly changed to 245s on all four corners giving me a great ride especially at freeway speed. If your tires are worn replace them and get an alignment. Best tire prices check with "The Tire Rack" they sell for wholesale offering dozens of brand tires and deliver to your door/shop!
Gary
Old 11-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No she didn't buy new tires for it, the tires that are on it are basically brand new.. I just had her take a pic of the front and back tires, but she didn't get a pic of the size in the back just the front. But tramlining, yes it definitely does that really really bad right now.. (the pulling all over the road explained) I really think it is just an alignment and wrong tire location. What would I be looking for in the suspension?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2014
location: Martinez GA
Posts: 51
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Last time I looked "Tire Rotation" wasn't allowed on G35s! Your G came with 225s up front, running those out back with the 245s front could result in a very strange drive. I was never a fan of using those 225s up front and quickly changed to 245s on all four corners giving me a great ride especially at freeway speed. If your tires are worn replace them and get an alignment. Best tire prices check with "The Tire Rack" they sell for wholesale offering dozens of brand tires and deliver to your door/shop!
Gary
Gary please correct me if i am wrong...i thought the rims on my G35 Journey with the sport package came with slightly different sized rims on the front than the back. I always assumed that because of this it was best for me to continue with the 225/50R 18's on the front and 245/45R 18's on the back....? I am due tires now as a matter of fact. I am going to order them from Tire Rack as you suggested. I got 65k out of a set of Goodyear Eagles - and was quite amazed. Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...
Old 11-07-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Oct 2010
location: SF bayarea (925)
Posts: 3,946
Thanked 417 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by LCC0256 View Post
Gary please correct me if i am wrong...i thought the rims on my G35 Journey with the sport package came with slightly different sized rims on the front than the back. I always assumed that because of this it was best for me to continue with the 225/50R 18's on the front and 245/45R 18's on the back....? I am due tires now as a matter of fact. I am going to order them from Tire Rack as you suggested. I got 65k out of a set of Goodyear Eagles - and was quite amazed. Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...
The front Sport wheels are narrower than the rears, so they are better suited for the narrower 225 width tires. Nonetheless, it is possible to install the wider 245's on them, and some people do, but it is technically (borderline) too narrow per tire manufacturer specs. If you drive your car modestly on the street, you may not ever know the difference, but if you took it to a track it would not perform as well. Given that you got 65K out of a set of staggered tires on Sport wheels, I'm going to guess you will most likely not notice a difference.

.02

Last edited by vqsmile; 11-07-2016 at 07:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vqsmile For This Useful Post:
LCC0256 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM
Blue Dream's Avatar
I drove ttrank's car solo
iTrader: (50)
Join Date: Mar 2009
location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 17,385
Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by LCC0256 View Post
Due to $$ constraints i am looking at the B F Goodrich G Force Comp - 2 A/S for the next set...
Budget schmughet, I recently had to replace the tires on my GTO under warranty from Discount Tire and was sad to see my longtime favorites had been discontinued. So after a lot of research I picked the Comp 2 AS because they got very favorable reviews on every site I consulted. Didn't expect them to be anything better than above average, I haven't ever run all season tires in any form. Man what an awesome surprise, these tires kick azz. Great grip, comfortable ride, quiet and very stable and predictable handling when pushed hard. And the bonus is they aren't expensive tires in the grand scheme of things. Tire Rack had them rated 1 out of 27 AS UHP a while back and recently they bumped them down to #2. Not the best looking tire out there but when they make the GTO more fun than it already is, win!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dream For This Useful Post:
LCC0256 (11-08-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Registered User
Join Date: May 2014
location: Martinez GA
Posts: 51
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream View Post
Budget schmughet, I recently had to replace the tires on my GTO under warranty from Discount Tire and was sad to see my longtime favorites had been discontinued. So after a lot of research I picked the Comp 2 AS because they got very favorable reviews on every site I consulted. Didn't expect them to be anything better than above average, I haven't ever run all season tires in any form. Man what an awesome surprise, these tires kick azz. Great grip, comfortable ride, quiet and very stable and predictable handling when pushed hard. And the bonus is they aren't expensive tires in the grand scheme of things. Tire Rack had them rated 1 out of 27 AS UHP a while back and recently they bumped them down to #2. Not the best looking tire out there but when they make the GTO more fun than it already is, win!!!!!

Thank you for that recommendation. I just put those BFG tires on my 08 G35. I am finding your comments to be dead on.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:43 AM
Blue Dream's Avatar
I drove ttrank's car solo
iTrader: (50)
Join Date: Mar 2009
location: By the sea, Tx
Posts: 17,385
Thanked 1,319 Times in 1,078 Posts
Man I am so glad you made that decision and are happy with them. I've been telling people here and on my main GTO forum how awesome these tires are, especially since they're such a good bargain.

Enjoy those bad boys and report back in a bit how they're holding up. I'm still blown away by how many glowing reviews they're getting all over the place and in my size, 245/45/17, they're only $125 each.

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes, average.

Archive

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages


bolt pattern acura tlinfiniti g37 sedan 0-60sa60minfiniti rims g37michelin pilot alpin pa2g35 superchargednichewheelsngk laserservice engine soon light nissan altimaavant garde m368vibrant stealth muffler reviewwork termist wheelspnc bank auto payoffaudi a5 vs bmw 328iosram 6000kg35 high flow catstechron chevronhow much to replace torque converteralpine 8 inch double din reviewservice engine soon nissan sentra 2005clear coat for plasti dipgmc sierra southern comfortsigns of a bad camshaft position sensorpioneer avic d1po113 codewindshield wipers walmartbbs sticker center capsobon festival san franciscofront strut mount noiseaxis supermesh350z fourmvq45foose lusso wheelsdpe rimsuniversal coolant overflow tankarmos wheel repairrims for infiniti g35 coupesundown sa10chrome rim dipping2006 nissan sentra service engine soon lightkoni strutsquixx repairoptima yellow top autozonehow to purge cooling systeminnova auto scanners2004 kia sorento batterymuffler hksasa ar1 18x9camber bolt install2004 infiniti g35 accessoriesrpf1 18x10.5how to fix the airbag warning light2012 g37x reviewrim wideninginfiniti g37 coupe front bumpertorque specs for wheel hub assemblypioneer avic-z120btairbag light blinkingnail in tire treadbully dog chipplasti dip gold rims350z comparisonkenwood dnx7140 updatehow much to charge for car detailing2004 g35 top speedlegal tint in las vegascatalytic converter rattlesengine oil burning solutionsneo chrome lip wheelspioneer avh1450dvdg35 throttle body spacer