G37 Oil question - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • G37 Oil question

G37 Oil question

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
G37 Oil question

Just picked up 09 G37 and our previous 07 G35 we used conventional oil. The dealer stated that the g37 uses synthetic oil but the owners manual makes no note of this. Just want to get to the truth as I'd rather use conventional oil if it indeed it is NOT currently using synthetic. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I was told the dealer uses a synthetic blend. I now use pure synthetic.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Nissan Ester oil is what's recommended for the G37 engine.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Yep, Nissan's 5W-30 Ester Oil is recommended for the G37's VQ37VHR motor because of the VVEL. The irony is that I used the Nissan Ester Oil for both of my oil changes and still had a Bank#1 VVEL Actuator failure that required me to be towed to the dealer.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax2k1 View Post
Nissan Ester oil is what's recommended for the G37 engine.
Is the G37 shipped from the factory w/ thiis Ester Oil? Just wondering why the owners manual doesn't mention such a significant detail??

Is a full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Syntec OK to use in place of the Ester oil?

I like to do my own oil changes and don't have a Nissan/Intiniti dealer nearby, I can only imagine how much Nissan charges for the stuff
Old 09-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnewt View Post
Is the G37 shipped from the factory w/ thiis Ester Oil? Just wondering why the owners manual doesn't mention such a significant detail??

Is a full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Syntec OK to use in place of the Ester oil?

I like to do my own oil changes and don't have a Nissan/Intiniti dealer nearby, I can only imagine how much Nissan charges for the stuff
Ester oil is what is recommended but what is required is listed in your owners manual.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:12 AM
Premier Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnewt View Post
Just picked up 09 G37 and our previous 07 G35 we used conventional oil. The dealer stated that the g37 uses synthetic oil but the owners manual makes no note of this. Just want to get to the truth as I'd rather use conventional oil if it indeed it is NOT currently using synthetic. Thanks!
So you just spent 35k+ on your car and you want to put crappy (compared to most synthetics) oil in (I'm guessing to save a few bucks)?
Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
So you just spent 35k+ on your car and you want to put crappy (compared to most synthetics) oil in (I'm guessing to save a few bucks)?
He didn't say that at all, there is good quality dino & many people still believe in it..

Last edited by InTgr8r; 09-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
just realize the properties of synthetic is different.

dino is fine... up to a point
synblend is a little better
full syn is the best.

much less viscosity, lubricates better (smaller molecules). heat more efficiently resistant to "slugding," maintains oil additive properties longer.

I mean shoot I use full synthetic and still change every 3-3.5.

if you can afford to do it, your car will thank you for it. if you don't then just change regularly like you should and you'll probably be ok.

The Ester oil is a full synthetic oil with the ester additive at a different amount than retail synthetic. designed to deal with any valve ticking when using non-synthetic. I've never experienced the tick before.. but then again I've never driven a G that didn't use at least synthetic blend and ever since the VVEL (of which the ester was created) dealerships don't put conventional in it. that's at least for my dealership.

ester oil is a little pricey tho at like 10 bucks a qt. I've gotten full synethetic for cheaper, but heck I don't pay for oil changes any more so I don't think about it.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTgr8r View Post
He did say that at all, there is good quality dino & many people still believe in it..
Not only good quality but there is some that in some ways are better than the average syn oil.

Even Nissan's may be included in this group.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
I've never had any engine trouble in all my past cars (around 30 vehicles over the years), I'm very diligent about changing oil every 3k. I surely don't want to mess up the motor if regular oil is taboo.

Is Mobil1 or Syntec OK since I don't have a Nissan/Infiniti shop nearby??
Old 09-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw08G35S View Post
just realize the properties of synthetic is different.

dino is fine... up to a point
synblend is a little better
full syn is the best.

much less viscosity, lubricates better (smaller molecules). heat more efficiently resistant to "slugding," maintains oil additive properties longer.

The Ester oil is a full synthetic oil with the ester additive at a different amount than retail synthetic. designed to deal with any valve ticking when using non-synthetic.
ester oil is a little pricey tho at like 10 bucks a qt. I've gotten full synethetic for cheaper, but heck I don't pay for oil changes any more so I don't think about it.
I think you will find that Nissan's Ester Oil is not a full synthetic. This would mean that in Nissan's eyes that point number three is not valid.

However the ester oil is a recommendation, what is required is in the owners manual.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarmer View Post
This would mean that in Nissan's eyes that point number three is not valid.
Not too sure about that. Checked out BITOG and found at least one person saying that Nissan recommends Mobil1 0w-40 for the GTR, which many folks say is Mobil1's best oil and their only "true" (Grp IV) passenger vehicle synthetic.

FWIW, I have an 08 G35X Sport, run Castrol Syntec 0w-30, may run Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, or Amsoil SSO down the road.

Last edited by geronimomoe; 09-27-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-28-2009, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimomoe View Post
Not too sure about that. Checked out BITOG and found at least one person saying that Nissan recommends Mobil1 0w-40 for the GTR, which many folks say is Mobil1's best oil and their only "true" (Grp IV) passenger vehicle synthetic.

FWIW, I have an 08 G35X Sport, run Castrol Syntec 0w-30, may run Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, or Amsoil SSO down the road.
Does that one person statement about Nissan's recommendation (sounds close to requirement) for the GTR outweigh Nissan's recommendation (not requirement) for the 'G'?

Note the reasoning for this and also note the viscosity difference in regard to the GTR versus the 'G':

------------------------

. Mobil 1, 0W-40 (100% synthetic) is
the factory fill oil. The VR38 engine
with its plasma-sprayed bores was
developed using this oil. NISSAN
cannot ensure proper engine operation
and durability if other 0W-40
synthetic oil is used. If Mobil 1, 0W-
40 is not available, Mobil 1, 10W-40
(100% synthetic) may be used; however,
some performance loss may
be noticed.

-------------------------------

This is also probably a partenership as well, much like the one for Chevy in regard to the Corvette which has it printed right on the engine.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarmer View Post
Does that one person statement about Nissan's recommendation (sounds close to requirement) for the GTR outweigh Nissan's recommendation (not requirement) for the 'G'?

Note the reasoning for this and also note the viscosity difference in regard to the GTR versus the 'G':

------------------------

. Mobil 1, 0W-40 (100% synthetic) is
the factory fill oil. The VR38 engine
with its plasma-sprayed bores was
developed using this oil. NISSAN
cannot ensure proper engine operation
and durability if other 0W-40
synthetic oil is used. If Mobil 1, 0W-
40 is not available, Mobil 1, 10W-40
(100% synthetic) may be used; however,
some performance loss may
be noticed.

-------------------------------

This is also probably a partenership as well, much like the one for Chevy in regard to the Corvette which has it printed right on the engine.
pfarmer, what is the fill oil in the G? I'm assuming it's the Ester oil.