2005 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT vs. BMW 330i ZHP - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru

Go Back > >
Reload this Page >

2005 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT vs. BMW 330i ZHP

G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Old 01-31-2005, 07:20 PM

As I begin my search for a new car within the next 10 months, I never even thought to consider an Infiniti until I saw a photo of the new 298? hp G35 sedan with a 6 speed manual tranny. I've seen several of the 03-04 G35s in person, but I am blown away with the great looks of this car and the horsepower jump for 2005.

Basically, it looks as though my choices are going to be between a BMW 330i performance package (ZHP) and this new Infiniti G35 sedan. As a current owner of a BMW 3-series, I do not want to desert my Bimmer friends, but this G35 is tempting. I HATE the looks of the new E90 BMW 3-series that is debuting for 06, so I will be looking at an 05+ G35 or an 04-05 330i.

My main concerns about switching from the BMW to the G35 are:
1. Track capabilities (real road racing, not drag racing)
2. Handling
3. Strong top end
4. Interior comfort
5. Chick magnet credibility

Please be honest with your responses and thank you in advance for your responses!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:40 PM
AlB
M3 Driver

I drive a 95 M3 and the RWD, 300HP, Manual Tranny is what got me looking. Test drove and was sold, Power is a bit tighter than the M3 (Maybe due to extra gear), handling is very linear all the way up to the limit (slight understeer vs m3). Power steering is a bit overamped (but not compared to newer bmw's). Totally trackable car, lots of aftermarket (Thanks to the coupe) suspension bits and even some supercharger action via Stillen.

Atmosphere is the biggest difference...German cars just seem to have a bit more ergonomically designed switchgear, better seats and generally a less gimmicky interior (although the G is about the most functional Japanese interior I have ever seen).

I plan on suspension mods (Springs, sways) and maybe an intake spacer, definitiely covering the aluminum center panel with carbon or something lower key.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:03 PM
Biggins,
I think you could be happy with either car but you'll save some money with the G. Think how many mods you can add with the $ difference.There is something to be said for the driving experience the German cars give.My wife has an A4 with sport suspension and the ride is very different from my G sedan non sport suspension. The seats in her Audi are much more supportive. However, the grin factor happens when I drive my G. You said you wrere blown away by the photos of the G. Wait till you drive it. I don't think the added HP is really going to make that much diff between the 04 and 05 so drive em both and make the best deal you can. You may save so much money, you mat be able to take your babe on a cruise instead of just crusin in the car. THINK ABOUT THAT.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:18 PM
My first car was a Honda (reliable and got me where I needed to go). I'm not a brand loyalist or a huge German car enthusiast, but I love everything about my E36 and even the newer E46 Bimmers. I could easily sacrifice a little in the interior (I highly doubt it will be that much) for the looks and performance of the Infiniti.

I did the whole tuning thing in my younger days, but I love the factory rims on the G35. The only things I would consider would probably be suspension based (Eibach Pro-kit, Koni shocks/struts, sways) and brakes.

Also, do the 2005 G35 sedans come with large Brembos? Brakes and suspension are obviously most important because I would use them well for HPDEs and maybe autocrossing.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Biggins
My first car was a Honda (reliable and got me where I needed to go). I'm not a brand loyalist or a huge German car enthusiast, but I love everything about my E36 and even the newer E46 Bimmers. I could easily sacrifice a little in the interior (I highly doubt it will be that much) for the looks and performance of the Infiniti.

I did the whole tuning thing in my younger days, but I love the factory rims on the G35. The only things I would consider would probably be suspension based (Eibach Pro-kit, Koni shocks/struts, sways) and brakes.

Also, do the 2005 G35 sedans come with large Brembos? Brakes and suspension are obviously most important because I would use them well for HPDEs and maybe autocrossing.
I don't think the Brembo is an option anymore. This is what I saw on the Infiniti website.
Brakes

Front/Rear G35/G35 6MT 12.6-inch/12.1-inch ventilated discs with 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS
Front/Rear G35x AWD 11.7-inch/11.3-inch ventilated discs with 4-wheel, 4-channel ABS

ABS type Computer-controlled 4-channel, 4-sensor with Electronic Brake force Distribution and Brake Assist
I am not sure if they wrer available on the 04's. You may want to speak with a dealer.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM
With the sizes you listed, I'm sure the bite on the brakes has to be reasonable. I'll be visiting a dealership later in the week when my ridiculous illness goes away.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:42 PM
amt
I have had my G35 6MT for about a week, and IMO the car is just superb. I'm not sure it would compete (stock) against an M3, but I don't see why it could hold its own against the 330. The engine is very very nice and pulls hard all the way to 7000 rpm. Handling is not bone-jarring, but still very responsive. And of course, the wheels look killer With some better tires I bet it would be fantastic on the track.

The brakes are not brembo's but IMO, they are pretty damn big for a "sporty" sedan.

I have been very happy with the interior. The '05s appeared to get some more attention on the interior, and seemed to get reviewed a lot better than the previous years.

Also, FYI, it even comes with a shift light
Old 01-31-2005, 09:09 PM
I Owned A 5mt '97 328ic Convertable... My '03.5 G35 Is Everything My Bimmer Was Plus So Much More. I Have Taught Many M3's Not To Mess With A G35 Stick---unless You Want To Look Stupid! G35's Actually Copied The Suspension Set Up Of The 3 Series. Replace Heavy Bmw Parts With Light Weight Aluminum Alloy And Youve Got A 4door Car That Can Be Thrown Into The Most Aggressive Of Turns ----not Losing An Inch To My Bimmer! True---women Lust Over The Bimmer.....but My Friend ---men Lust Over This G35. I Recently Got A Speding Tickt In San Diego For Going 113 On A Curvy Road...the Cop Was Amazed! He Even Looked Under My Hood To Check Out The Fastest Car, No---vehicle, That Hed Ever Pulled Over. He Enjoyed The Experience---told Me The Previous Fastest Was A Ninja Motorcycle Going 107 On This Street.

G35 6mt Vs. 99 M3:

0-60---- G35
0-100---m3
60-0----g35
Interior---g35
Exterior---tie
Maintenance Costs----g35(by A Landslide!)
Electrical---g35
Shifter Action---m3

The 3 Series Was Undisputed King Of The 90's
But,nobody Has Matched The G35--- Yet
Old 01-31-2005, 10:56 PM
Hold on, does he want our opinion on E36 M3 and G35 or E46 330ZHP and G35.

On the paper 2004 G35 has identical performance numbers as 330ZHP (skidpad, acceleration, slalom, so on (both 6MTs)).
So if i were you i would go and drive the 2005 g35 6mt and 330ZHP and see if its 330 is worth the extra 7-8 grand.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:42 PM
I'm deciding between the exact two cars.

I've driven both. I have an offer on the table for a 330 ZHP (beautiful), but I'm still 2nd guessing my self. To me, the BMW is a better feeling sports sedan, you are truly one w/ the vehicle, and shifting is MUCH better, as is the steering feel. The G (as every one says, pulls and pulls! And I think it feels much faster!

Exterior - front (G35) rear (BMW), total = tie.
Interior - BMW, IMO - but G is bigger, so it's close, and the rear seat reclining action rules. Driver's perspective - BMW....Everyone else - G35.
Engine - G35
Handling - BMW, but G35 holds an awesome line, BMW edges it out in control
Shifting, tranny, clutch - BMW (no contest)
Brakes - feel = BMW, stopping = G35
Overall (if same price), I go w/ the BMW, because the car simply does not date (other than the e39 model (a tad)), but in general, BMWs are lookers for years to come IMO.
BUT for the real price - I take the G35.

My problem is this...I can have a 330i zhp '04 for less than an '05 G35. One things for sure, both cars are smokin', and both are somewhat uncommon in that configuration.

Good luck, and wish me luck too!
Old 02-01-2005, 12:47 AM
My best friend has a 330i ZHP and i can say that after extensive time in his car his handling is a lot better than the G35.....The ZHP has 18s that are 8.0 in wide in the front and 8.5 in the back....thats esentailly the main differance....the power of the G is much better but i think the BMW still looks better but is much smaller.....if they were both the same price...i think i would get the BMW....but the G35 can be just as sweet as the ZHP if you get some nice wheels and the sport package....power and value of the G are unparalleled....IMO these 2 cars are the closest in their class....no other cars come even close....oh and by the way...my G is a major chick magnet...more than my firneds BMW....probably because every other car on the road is a 3 series....
Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
4. Interior comfort
----> Beemer.... WINS (gotta insert the Mortal Kombat voice here)

----> Beemer.... WINS

FATALITY!!!

Chicks don't care about the other things you mentioned and let's face it, it's all about the sausage pouch dude.

"Beemers will get you more screamers"

Last edited by doogie; 02-01-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by doogie
4. Interior comfort
----> Beemer.... WINS (gotta insert the Mortal Kombat voice here)

----> Beemer.... WINS

FATALITY!!!

Chicks don't care about the other things you mentioned and let's face it, it's all about the sausage pouch dude.

"Beemers will get you more screamers"
So essentially if your dong is big enough to take it then the G is the way to go. For you smaller size weeners you'll need the ZHP to get chicks? Right. I doubt the interior is that much better in the ZHP than the 05 coupe - especially when the gremlins take over and nothing works properly. Hope her pouch was worth the ubiquity and trouble LOL.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:22 PM
I think that I've come to the conclusion that these cars are equals. Each has their highs and lows, and with the money I have to spend, the imperfections I'm worried about in the G could be easily cured (modding) with the price I'd pay for the ZHP.

I'll continue contemplating and lurking in this forum because decision time is still TEN months away.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:26 PM
SixFive you should take my post with a grain of salt... After all I didn't even OWN a new car until long after I was married, and trust me at that point, dong size simply doesn't matter any more - although I will admit my ***** is CURIOUSLY small.

But yes, I believe (opinion not fact) the interior on ANY BMW is going to be better than the G simply because the G has a crappy, crappy interior. For a car in this price range it looks cheap and is laid out very poorly.

That said I still love my G and wouldn't give it up for the world. Even more sausage pouch.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes, average.

Quick Reply: 2005 Infiniti G35 sedan 6MT vs. BMW 330i ZHP

Archive

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in:

Related pages

buffing car scratchesmeisterschaft exhaust review2006 infiniti g35 overheatingcross drilled vs slottedcar shakes when brakingwhat is bluetooth passkeyaudiobahn a18001dtcustom infiniti g35racing hart cxinfiniti key fob replacementpioneer 5600ati prochargersbossier nissan2003 infiniti g35 reviewsforgestar rims for salepep boys transmission flushaxle bearing removalwheel spacer install225 45 zr17 tiressymptoms of a bad crank sensorhks tunernve-p12007 nissan maxima timing chainhow to fix rod knocklynnes bloomfield njwhere is the vct solenoid locatedoem wheel offsetkicker kq9royal purple gear luberedline si 1 fuel system cleanerkrown lakeshorechanging a cv axleray catena infinityhow to fix gas gauge in carenkei rp03 for saleinfiniti g35 transmission fluidhann auto salestwister electric superchargerbronze paint codeis a coupe more expensive to insurenissan data scanp0102 engine codeg37 oil350z knock sensorloud beeping noisepiaa 19172garmin mechanic appstrut bar for saleg35 transmission problemsinfiniti g35 rear wheel driveg37 modificationswhat does a bcm controlmazda rx7 r1350z tire pressure sensor2007 m35x reviewtd insurance etobicokedream conceptz headlightsbelt driven radiator fanautozone duralast gold brake pads reviewg37 greddy twin turbo kit3mvsg35 raceknock sensor 1 circuitperma cool transmission coolercar overheated white smoke exhaustkpopsevenretailmenot tirerackenergy suspension canadag37s iplhow to reset tpms lightdoes autozone do free diagnostic checksthrottle body spacer dyno350z bumper clipslisle coolant funneln7000 tiresbrembo replacement rotorscion tc rpf1p0455 obd code