deleted coolant overflow tank - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • deleted coolant overflow tank

G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07
Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

deleted coolant overflow tank

Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM
deleted coolant overflow tank

I deleted my coolant overflow tank and was wondering if anyone else has done the same? the tank is not pressurized, simply an overflow. i have driven the car 150 miles so far about 75% highway no problems.

i was curious as to see if anyone else deleted the tank? no pics but i re routed the left body harness, deleted windshield washer reservoir, deleted coolant overflow tank, deleted hood open sensor thing, and associated brackets. in the winter i highly doubt i will run issue but am curious as to a 100* day sitting in traffic. i might buy a metal tank and try to stuff it in front of the radiator, behind the bumper but might not even waste the money.

in for input
Old 11-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Deleting your coolant overflow tank is not a good idea for street driven vehicles.

Eventually coolant loss will cause air to be drawn into radiator after it cools down. Air pockets may form which cause overheating issues, G35's are notorious for.

Check my profile I relocated power steering tank to front of radiator but you can easily due the same with coolant overflow (I.E. GreenGoblin).
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodG35 View Post
Deleting your coolant overflow tank is not a good idea for street driven vehicles.

Eventually coolant loss will cause air to be drawn into radiator after it cools down. Air pockets may form which cause overheating issues, G35's are notorious for.

Check my profile I relocated power steering tank to front of radiator but you can easily due the same with coolant overflow (I.E. GreenGoblin).
ok thank you for the input. i had my initial burp, where it splat coolant maybe a cups worth. i figure after that the coolant should only reach a certain temp as then the fans kick on and cool stuff down through the coolant temp sensor. but if the car overheats i am ****ed, but there is a reason for over heat so ****ed either way.

but i think i will add the tank for safety of these air pockets. makes sense they could possibly form over time and my car is my daily driver. i will check your pics and goblins, maybe i could fit both tanks as i would like to relocate that as well. thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 07:51 PM
You need an overflow tank.

It allows coolant to expand freely at the oem pressure via the rad cap.

Put it back with at least a smaller tank. It's there for a reason; thermal expansion is a bish.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 PM
My coolant tank is mounted on my bumper beam, and ps reservoir tucked under the radiator support. You can see a little bit of the cap from this picture. My washer jug is gone, never used it anyways.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Wings Nation
You need an overflow. As others have posted, a good option is to relocate it to the front of the radiator (to the side is best for flow - that's what I did) or somewhere else up front. The stock overflow is an odd shape so its hard to tuck out of the way, but you can buy a rectangular universal tank from O'Reilly/Kragen/Napa/Autozone for less than $10 that will work just fine.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5 View Post
You need an overflow tank.

It allows coolant to expand freely at the oem pressure via the rad cap.

Put it back with at least a smaller tank. It's there for a reason; thermal expansion is a bish.
lol yea, today was a pretty warm day out. after running about 3 errands car started to over heat. luckily the errands were getting coolant, a tank, and some hosing. so i filled the rad and am going to install a tank tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielv12 View Post
My coolant tank is mounted on my bumper beam, and ps reservoir tucked under the radiator support. You can see a little bit of the cap from this picture. My washer jug is gone, never used it anyways.

wow awesome bay! I like the PS res spot, I was thinking that as well but notching the core support so the top could be taken off with out moving the tank (use a nice metal tank). But definitely some great inspiration! thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigc View Post
You need an overflow. As others have posted, a good option is to relocate it to the front of the radiator (to the side is best for flow - that's what I did) or somewhere else up front. The stock overflow is an odd shape so its hard to tuck out of the way, but you can buy a rectangular universal tank from O'Reilly/Kragen/Napa/Autozone for less than $10 that will work just fine.
yes! i just got that tank from Napa. 8 bucks and it looks like it will fit perfect. As said earlier my testing is over lol, the car finally over heated. But i topped the rad off and made sure not to over heat the car.

Thanks for all the comments. Here is a pic of what i got, It is my daily so its gotta be one part at a time until i can leave it in pieces. Factory fuse box still on stock bracket. I am very "OEM" oriented and keeping the car how it should be. Washer fluid bottle connectors and hood open connector were cut out of the harness near the battery (definitely reversible). Every other wire was extended, soldered, and heat shrink wrapped so everything fits OEM and how intended.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:31 AM
SLICK
Thanked 1,067 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielv12 View Post
Super clean engine compartment, have you considered painting your dip stick handle either black or engine block color? OEM yellow looks like a pimple on a pretty girls nose with everything else you've done... Oh and polish your air conditioning lines, it's the small things that make you stand out from the crowd...Gary
Old 04-17-2014, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Super clean engine compartment, have you considered painting your dip stick handle either black or engine block color? OEM yellow looks like a pimple on a pretty girls nose with everything else you've done... Oh and polish your air conditioning lines, it's the small things that make you stand out from the crowd...Gary

any DIYs on how you relocated it???