Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads – Review - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads – Review

Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads – Review

Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Stoptech Street Performance Brake Pads – Review

Having had the OEM Akebono set-up for over a year now, with a couple of track days under its belt, i figured it was time to try out different brake pads.

I wanted a set of pads that would work well for mostly daily driving but is more capable than the Akebono “base” pads at the track. It also had to be somewhat affordable. My initial thoughts were to get the Nismo R-Tune pads, but at roughly $300 a set, sparse reviews with some mentioning the increased noise and dust under normal conditions, i took it off the top of the list.

Then came the Carbotech line-up. I’ve heard a lot of good things about them, especially the Bobcats for street and the XPx line for track. Plus, they’re compatible so there’s hardly a need for re-bedding and/or turning rotors when switching between them. But, again, the problem was cost.

So off to Stoptech i went. I also heard a lot of good reviews about their Street Performance line. At under $150 for a set, that cinched the deal for me.

On it went. Since these are already scorched, i went with the minimal bedding procedure of 8-10 near full stops from 45mph. Let it cool for a while then parked the car. Interestingly, the pads seem hard enough it actually scraped the rotor clean of the OEM pads “impressions.”

On the next drive, the brakes already felt wonderful. There’s a little groan when releasing after sitting a while but goes away after a couple of stops.

After 100 miles of driving, i’m inclined to agree with nearly all the reviews. The pads give you plenty of feedback, i wouldn’t say they’re grabby in a bad sense, but they do let its presence known regardless of where you are on the pedal. It’s easily modulated and very linear. Even with a full load the brakes just respond better and bites harder.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmike View Post
Having had the OEM Akebono set-up for over a year now, with a couple of track days under its belt, i figured it was time to try out different brake pads.

I wanted a set of pads that would work well for mostly daily driving but is more capable than the Akebono “base” pads at the track. It also had to be somewhat affordable. My initial thoughts were to get the Nismo R-Tune pads, but at roughly $300 a set, sparse reviews with some mentioning the increased noise and dust under normal conditions, i took it off the top of the list.

Then came the Carbotech line-up. I’ve heard a lot of good things about them, especially the Bobcats for street and the XPx line for track. Plus, they’re compatible so there’s hardly a need for re-bedding and/or turning rotors when switching between them. But, again, the problem was cost.

So off to Stoptech i went. I also heard a lot of good reviews about their Street Performance line. At under $150 for a set, that cinched the deal for me.

On it went. Since these are already scorched, i went with the minimal bedding procedure of 8-10 near full stops from 45mph. Let it cool for a while then parked the car. Interestingly, the pads seem hard enough it actually scraped the rotor clean of the OEM pads “impressions.”

On the next drive, the brakes already felt wonderful. There’s a little groan when releasing after sitting a while but goes away after a couple of stops.

After 100 miles of driving, i’m inclined to agree with nearly all the reviews. The pads give you plenty of feedback, i wouldn’t say they’re grabby in a bad sense, but they do let its presence known regardless of where you are on the pedal. It’s easily modulated and very linear. Even with a full load the brakes just respond better and bites harder.

Do you know if these pads will fit on the non-brembo or non-akebono setup? I have the base model without a bbk.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisname View Post
Do you know if these pads will fit on the non-brembo or non-akebono setup? I have the base model without a bbk.
Yes, they make pads for all the G models. Check for some good pricing.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Check Amazon, too! I've found them to be the cheapest place to buy the pads for the Akebono's.

Actually, i still have a brand new set of 'em. Was planning on changing out the pads before deciding to sell the G.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Because Tirerack didn't list a product for our rear pads, I didn't think Stoptech made them. But they do! Bought the rears from Amazon and they work great. Took off the Hawk Ceramic both front and back quite early--just do not have the stopping power I am looking for and IMO prone to judder.