> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Power seat switch problem

Interior & Exterior
Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More

Power seat switch problem

Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Power seat switch problem

Hey there, I know this is a very frequently asked question but i cant seem to find the nswer... My power seat switch is half functionl - both passenger and driver sides. One switch on each doesnt work... What should i do?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:01 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
I'd start by verifying it's the switch or motor, unplug the motor, use a digital multimeter, probe the harness and verify power is making it to the control motor.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Does the switch work at all? Can you hear anything? There are metal contacts that the switch uses that can get dirty/burnt. I had to take my passanger seat out and open up the switch to clean them up. The seat would recline but not go back up, which was problem lol

Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Yeah you can disassemble the switch itself and use aerosol contact cleaner (WEAR CHEM RESISTANT GLOVES HIGHLY TOXIC ****! WELL VENTILATED AREA TOO!) to clean it up if there is no power going to the motor.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yeah you can disassemble the switch itself and use aerosol contact cleaner (WEAR CHEM RESISTANT GLOVES HIGHLY TOXIC ****! WELL VENTILATED AREA TOO!) to clean it up if there is no power going to the motor.
I'm not so sure it was dirt that was causing it. I tried using aerosol and electric cleaner before taking on the project. The contacts actually seemed burnt and crusty from all the electric conact. Gotta get in there with a qtip and rubbing alcohol. Heck, I think I might have even sanded a little bit.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:46 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Contact cleaner is designed specifically to remove corrosion on the contact faces, not to lubricate the switch or remove dirt, but if there is scorching problems then the switch is likely fried.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 PM
my fault, missed the contact cleaner part. I guess I only read aerosol
Old 11-06-2017, 12:41 PM
On my passenger side seat switch, there is no clicking noise. On my driver switch there is a clicking noise. Which one is a connection problem and which one is a motor problem? Thank you for the help.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:26 PM
's Avatar
Cleric670
A "clicking sound" is not how you diagnose the issue. Grab your digital multimeter, unplug the motor, hold the switch and check for voltage.

If you have voltage it's the motor, if not disassemble the switch from the seat, grab the wiring schematic from the FSM or a Haynes/Chilton and check continuity through the switch.

No clicking MIGHT be the switch, or the snap/spring/something just broke off the little tab that makes the clicking sound. Snap switches can be stupid like that but still work.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: