HFC Diameter vs volume question - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> > >
  • Reload this Page >
    • HFC Diameter vs volume question

HFC Diameter vs volume question

Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 PM
HFC Diameter vs volume question

It may have been answered already, but I couldn't find any information anywhere. I currently have 2.5" FI RHFC into a full Tanabe CBE on my coupe, but realized just how loud it is from outside the car whenever I touch the fun pedal (not straight-piped Mustang loud, but enough to turn heads, which isn't quite what I want. It's also deep at low RPM, almost too deep for me; I like a slightly more restrained sound). I've done some reading and see that the Kinetix HFC (just taking an example, I don't know much about Kinetix) is a 2.25" HFC. That would fit my system better, as right now I'm going 2.5" from the HFC to 2.36" on the Y-pipe which expands to 2.75 midway down the Y-pipe all the way to the tips.

Would going from the 2.5" FI RHFC down to the 2.25" Kinetix HFC have a volume impact? I would probably gain a little bit of rasp due to losing the resonator, but I feel like the decrease in diameter would offset it/reduce the volume. Am I correct in this assumption, or totally wrong?
Old 01-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Premier Member
High flow cats won't muffle the sound as well as stock. Adding another resonator to your exhaust might help and be a lot less expensive.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
High flow cats won't muffle the sound as well as stock. Adding another resonator to your exhaust might help and be a lot less expensive.
I'm just wondering if a 2.25" HFC would be quieter at all than a 2.5" HFC, or if the volume change wouldn't be noticeable. If it doesn't make a difference, I was planning on adding a resonator/replacing the small Tanabe one.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 AM
's Avatar
Cleric670
Decibel level isn't determined by diameter so no, frequency however, WILL change.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:20 PM
Premier Member
Oh, you also have the Tanabe...not particularly loud but the drone on part throttle acceleration and at 2500 rpm was pretty bad. Swapped the muffer itself for a Dynomax Super Turbo, helped a lot. But probably going to end up getting the Vibrant ultra quiet resonator to get rid of what's left.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Decibel level isn't determined by diameter so no, frequency however, WILL change.
Got it; the hassle to trade my FI RHFC for someone's 2.25" HFC's in good condition wouldn't be worth it then, considering the tiny impact it will most likely have. Guess I'll look into swapping/welding in a resonator like Scottwax said, or maybe a small box-muffler if I really feel like toning it down. Thanks guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to Magneu For This Useful Post:
Scottwax (01-26-2018)