> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • Slave cylinder problems

G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Slave cylinder problems

Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Slave cylinder problems

Vehicle stats: 2007 Infiniti G35S Sedan 6MT
94,825 Bought car at 80,000 miles from 1st and only owner with all service records the dealer. Transmission was replaced at 12,000 miles.

Hey all, my car has been acting up as of lately and i noticed the clutch pedal pressure has been lacking and so yesterday when I got off the freeway on my way to school my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor and when I raised it back up and stepped on it again it would just sink to the ground yet again leaving me with a short engagement point of less than an inch so I decided to limp my way to the stealership in Glendale,California since I had a complimentary oil change, after giving them the car and notifying them of my problem with the clutch they said they would take a look and when I got it back I was told it was probably my slave cylinder but they needed to inspect to be sure. I schedule an appointment for Monday morning to receive a loaner and drop the car off for the 145.00 inspection because they didn't have a loaner for a few days.

The very next day as I was getting ready to leave for school I get in my car and the clutch is on the floor and this hasn't happened and i tried to pump the clutch to gain pressure but it wouldn't give. Finally i just said screw it i'll just press the button and see what happens and the car started and gained a little bit of pressure back but not much so I give the stealer a call and ask them if there was a way I could get a loaner that morning because the car was practically undriveable. After dropping the vehicle off at around 8:30 they gave me a g25 to sport around town and i'm gone, around 12:30 I get a call back from my service adviser saying my slave cylinder is bad and needs to be replaced, the service will cost 1200 dollars apparently since I'm out of warranty because i'm at 94,825. But he mentions if I buy the extended warranty from them for 2,300 dollars for 24k miles/24 months they will cover a portion of my repair so my out of pocket cost would be 600. As he's telling me I'm very unsure of how to handle all of it all at once so I told him i'd give him a call back.

Upon calling him back to ask more questions he was then starting to haggle the price with me down from 600 to 570, then 475. I once again tell him I need to call him back to figure out financial issues. upon calling him again he drops the price yet one more time to 440 with no where to budge and is telling me that the reason I have to purchase the warranty is to show my loyalty to infiniti because I bought the vehicle used.Now I have all the original service records from the 1st and only owner and he had the transmission replaced at 12,000 miles because it would not shift into 5th or 6th gear. Correct me if i'm wrong but the transmission assembly would include the slave cylinder replacement. So i ask my adviser about this and he awared me that the transmission was replaced but they still used the same slave cylinder from the original transmission, my vin is about 1400 cars after the 1600 vin recall for the throw out bearing and slave cylinder also known as ITB08-001 who is not to say that my car is included in this recall because 1400 cars is probably the next couple of weeks in production for these mass produced cars. So currently my car sits at the shop and I am awaiting calling consumer affairs at 8 Am when they open in the morning. Anyone else have a problem like this? Any advice would help!

Cliff Notes: Clutch pedal stuck to ground, take to dealer for oil change, oil is changed clutch pedal still not functioning well, service appointment made for the clutch, iffy warranty plans explained, i think they should cover this since when they changed the transmission at 12,000 they should have caught this, I think i'm being cheated. HELP.

Last edited by 42N8one; 06-03-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Voluntary Infiniti recall on the slave cylinder. That is all that needs to be said. It should be covered even out of warranty. If not, call Infiniti corporate. They have covered a number of issues out of warranty and this one seems like a no-brainer. Clutch cylinders are not typically changed with the transmission.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:49 AM
^ well the issue seems as if they are saying that his VIN does not fall under the VINs covered under the TSB for slave cylinder recall in which case they dont have to perform the service for free, as is if his car had the bad slave cylinder, i really doubt that it would last for 95k considering they said they used to old slave cylinder when they put in the new tranny.

Seems to me that you are kind of out of luck on this one, i recommend taking the car elsewhere, somewhere you know that works on nissans to get the cylinder replaced and its hould not cost you more than $500 with labor.

Also OP next time divide your writing into paras cause that hard to read
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 AM
So slave cylinders are meant to go out at 95,000 miles?? I think I had a defective transmission in the first place and since the slave cylinder is inside the transmission I feel that is apart of the transmission therefore that must mean that part is still faulty from the original transmission case. I found somewhere to do it for 450 bucks so i'm going to go that route if consumer affairs doesn't want to help me at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Oh and sorry for not making paragraphs earlier I had been up for 30 some hours got myself a couple hour nap in and back to studying >:[ hope all goes well because i shall be giving infiniti corporate a call in about 5 or so hours when they open
Old 06-03-2011, 06:08 AM
I don't think the slave cylinder is in the transmission. I was under the assumption that all 2007 G35's were affected. I pretty much set up an appointment as soon as I got the card in the mail and that was 03/2008 by my records. Regardless, I would still call Infiniti corporate. It is not typical at all for the clutch slave cylinder to fail that early.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
The slave cylinder is not in the transmission at all. It's visible under the hood next to your brake booster/master cylinder. It just looks like a smaller version of the brake master cylinder with a smaller reservoir and it's generally untouched as it's not part of the transmission assembly.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Sent you a PM with your solution. Dont waste your time and energy with Infiniti Consumer Affairs.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Consumer affairs told me that if they notice a pattern they will extend the vins for the recall on the G35 slave cylinder but i'm still SOL.
and as far as i'm concerned everyone has said they have to drop the transmission to get to the slave cylinder, on old hondas and nissans and everything else its usually 2 bolts on the outside of the transmission case.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:12 PM
9A.M.
I called my service adviser back and told him I would be coming back today to pick up my vehicle because I can't afford the 24k/2 year warranty AND service of 500 dollars. Not gonna happen and he said he wanted to call me back to see what he can do. WHY? I just want to pick up my car now since I found a place to do it for a couple hundred bucks, thanks razmik
Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
The transmission needs to be pulled to replace the slave cylinder, the one under the hood is the master cylinder for the clutch not slave.

They realized that you have got your facts right and will get the job done elsewhere to save money and probably not return to them anytime soon for any service or car sales, so they might now try to give you a good offer on the repair, they might even try to 'cover' it now just to keep you happy.

If they quote you a price clsoe to what the other shop is charging you then go with dealership cause youll have warranty on part and labor for sure and they do this all the time on the Gs so less chances of messing up

Let us know what happens.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I definately will let you guys know what happens I hope he covers it because this is bull****, I don't think slave cylinders should die before 100k, especially if my clutch is in great condition still after 95k miles and I know how to drive stick so I never rode the clutch or anything. I also will not be returning to them for service in the future, I went for my oil change because it was complimentary
Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
slave failing this early is not normal but depending on how the previous owner drove the car and maintained the fluid many factors really.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:52 PM
^ that is true but the car drove just fine for 15,000 miles after purchasing the car and the it just went to **** out of nowhere. But I do understand maybe the previous owner wasn't as nice to the car as I am now but I believe if you drive it nice it won't break, I'm not one to go around revving the hell out of the thing and dumping clutches everywhere, I have an actual dedicated race car to do that in lol
Old 06-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Man. I've only kept 1 car for that long 92000 miles. If this G35 will give me that type of problems I will be pissed. 95K these days with modern tech is nothing for a car. I do understand things will happen and this is not a widescale issue, but damn it's a premium car WTF? GL OP. I just had a really good day today after speaking with my service manager about a steering wheel replacement 10 days out of warranty and it's getting done. Done give up, talk to the service manager if the person you've been talking to is just the svc advisor.