How can i install single din DVD flip screen in G35 while keepin stock radio working? - - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion | setemail.ru
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

> >
  • Reload this Page >
    • How can i install single din DVD flip screen in G35 while keepin stock radio working?

How can i install single din DVD flip screen in G35 while keepin stock radio working?

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Unhappy How can i install single din DVD flip screen in G35 while keepin stock radio working?

Hi,

I have recently purchased an 05 g35 coupe about 2 months ago and I'm ready to start installing audio equipment. I have the kenwood kvt-514 single din flip dvd/radio w/ navi. I do not not want to install the g35 dash kit, i want to install the unit in the top pocket of the center console like ive seen so many people do. For example . Now when i went to install shop and they said it would be impossible for you to have both the aftermarket radio, and the stock radio hooked up and functioning at the same time. Is there any way to go about installing this so that i would be able to keep both, and switch back and forth between kenwood player and the stock 6disk cd changer? Also does anyone know an easy way to go about installing this in the top pocket, and if they have did they experienced any probs such as cd skipping?

any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Send a PM to Glex25 hes a Super Moderator so you cant miss his bold blue name

EDIT: Here is the thread, pics are in the first post

http://setemail.ru/forums/picture...band-only.html
Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 AM
Btw you might get more replys if you post in the Audio, Video & Electronics section of the forum
Old 03-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I was about to post this same question.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't think it's something that's done often.
so what are you trying to do? have the factory radio work AS WELL AS the aftermarket?if that's your goal I'm pretty sure it's one or the other without putting some sort of interrupter switch in
Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Yes, i was trying to keep both of them working. I actually just ordered the double din JDM dash kit, so im going to forget bout that idea. I'm not too sure how good that would of turned out anyway. Anyone want to buy a single din kenwood 514 let me know.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
well you would have to get an adapter like the Nav Sat ipd integration, but for AV cables, that way you can get sound by hitting the sat button, after that you just make the straight connections such as Power, ground and so on. good luck should be a fun little project.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM
I want to bump this thread as I also want to do this. I do not have the money for the DD set up and I already have a single din dvd flip up. I have searched and found nothing. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
You will have to remove the CD changer to create enough clearance for the single Din headunit.
You will also have to cut the bracket so the Single din headunit can be angled down and clear the vents for your AC.
You will have to cut a opening in your cubby for the headunit to pass through it.

You can use hot glue or molding tape to hold your headunit in place even though it will held also by the rear of that cavity since its only deep enough for the headunit.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:50 AM
How is it able to use both the single and double din? Do you have to use just one at a time. For example, turn the double din on while the single din is off, or turn the single din on while the double din is off.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
i did this back in 04 when i first got my g. i cut out the ash tray and hazard button and installed it. when the screen was open it covered the stock HU. I only used it for NAV and movies. I tapped into the xm wires and figured out which ones went to the speakers. volume came on when SAT button was pushed. i will try to find some pics.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Bump

I know this is like a 5yr ago post, but did anyone go thru with the project? I am trying to do it on my G, some pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:35 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halox View Post
Bump

I know this is like a 5yr ago post, but did anyone go thru with the project? I am trying to do it on my G, some pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
What exactly are you wanting info on?

How to wire it up? Splice into the factory power/accessory and ground wires for power and ground, splice into the dimmer wire for auto-dimming if the radio will be visible. Cut the factory connections for audio and connect the aftermarket radio to them. Cut the steering wheel control wires and run them through a steering wheel adapter to the new radio to maintain those controls. Disconnect the antenna from the factory radio, run it through an adapter and plug it into the aftermarket radio. After this, the replacement radio will be the only one that will play audio, while the factory radio will appear to function and provide power to the climate controls, it won't produce any audio.

Placement? With wire to extend the harness, you can put the single din anywhere you want, trunk, under the passenger seat, glove box... or you can cut into factory trim panels and make it accessible. As shadyg35 did, there's a surprising amount of room where the factory ash tray and such go under the factory radio, but that's a one-way street that you may regret going down.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut View Post
What exactly are you wanting info on?

How to wire it up? Splice into the factory power/accessory and ground wires for power and ground, splice into the dimmer wire for auto-dimming if the radio will be visible. Cut the factory connections for audio and connect the aftermarket radio to them. Cut the steering wheel control wires and run them through a steering wheel adapter to the new radio to maintain those controls. Disconnect the antenna from the factory radio, run it through an adapter and plug it into the aftermarket radio. After this, the replacement radio will be the only one that will play audio, while the factory radio will appear to function and provide power to the climate controls, it won't produce any audio.

Placement? With wire to extend the harness, you can put the single din anywhere you want, trunk, under the passenger seat, glove box... or you can cut into factory trim panels and make it accessible. As shadyg35 did, there's a surprising amount of room where the factory ash tray and such go under the factory radio, but that's a one-way street that you may regret going down.
Thanks a billion, this helped me realize a few obstacles i may come across, such as the power for the climate control.
I am going to take it apart and see what my options are for placement.

Thanks again!!